11 July 2013

FR. Timothy Sauppé on One Cause Leading to Closing Catholic Schools

“A stranger came into the sacristy after Sunday Mass. In an incriminating huff he said, ‘I have been away from the area for fifteen years; where are the people? And now you are tearing down the school? I went there as a kid.’

“I put my hands up to quiet him from further talking and I calmly said, ‘Let me ask you a question: How many kids did you have?’ He said, ‘Two.’ Then I said, ‘So did everyone else. When you only have two kids per family there is no growth.’ His demeanor changed, and then he dropped his head and said, ‘And they aren’t even going to Mass anymore.’

“I never thought I would be asking that question, but since I had to close our parish school, I’ve grown bolder and I started to ask that question more often. . . .”

In a recent commentary, Father Timothy Sauppé, S.T.L. (pastor of Saint Mary’s Church, Westville, IL), reflected on one of the causes for the closing of a number of Catholic schools (and parishes) throughout the nation.

To access Fr. Sauppé’s complete post, please visit:

LifeSiteNews: Priest: You’ve contracepted our parochial school out of existence (24 JUN 13)

No comments:

Post a Comment