21 July 2013

Msgr. Pope on Learning from Other’s Experience

“As a teenager I remember resenting how adults would try and prevent me from doing what I pleased. They would often warn me not to “learn the hard way” that something was wrong. I would often be told that I should learn from them and their experiences not to make the same mistakes they did. The rebel in me thought that it might be fun and pleasurable to “make a few mistakes of my own.” Of course I pridefully thought that I would escape the consequences.

In the end of course they were right, and one the most valuable gifts I have received from others to have learned from their experience. As a pastor too I must say that my staff has preserved me from innumerable errors through their expertise and long experience with the parish.”

In a recent commentary, Monsignor Charles Pope (pastor of Holy Comforter-Saint Cyprian Parish, Washington, DC) reflected on how the Church, “as a good mother and teacher,” helps us to learn from the experiences of others.

To access Msgr. Pope’s complete post, please visit:

Msgr. Charles Pope: On the Preventative Medicine of The Church’s Wisdom and Experience (As seen on T.V.) (12 JUL 13)

No comments:

Post a Comment