16 November 2013

Deacon Keith Fournier on Shopping for a Church

“One of my favorite leisure activities is going to book stores. I know, in the age of Kindles,smart phones,i-pads,surface tablets – many people simply bypass the real thing. Not me. I love books and I love bookstores. Every so often, I have a free Saturday morning and I venture to a local bookstore, cup of coffee in hand.

“Several years ago, on just such a Saturday morning visit to the book store, I noted a book entitled  They like Jesus but Not the Church: Insights from Emerging Generations. In a quick review of its contents, I saw nothing new. This claim emerges repeatedly in some Christian circles, the notion that you can separate Jesus from His Church.

“The very concept would have seemed nonsensical to the early Christians and it still should to those who choose to stand on their shoulders and carry forward the fullness of Christianity into a waiting world.”

In a recent commentary, Deacon Keith Fournier reflected on the fallacy of the concept of shopping for a church like one shops for consumer goods. He also reflected about the Church as a “participation in the Divine Nature, instituted by the Lord and not designed or redesigned by us.”

To access Deacon Keith’s complete post, please visit:

Catholic Online: Shopping for a Church? Give Me that Old Time Religion, the Catholic Church (9 NOV 13)

No comments:

Post a Comment