26 April 2015

Msgr. Pope on the Perspective of Word "Consider"

"Every now and then a word just catches your ear. Several times in a day it jumps out at you and you're tempted to say, 'There it is again!'

"A few days ago it was the word 'consider,' a very ordinary word. Or is it? Why did it suddenly strike me so?

"With my knowledge of Latin, it occurred to me that 'consider' has something to do with the stars, for the Latin word sidera means 'stars' or 'heavenly bodies.' How interesting! I have used the word for about fifty years now and that had never crossed my mind. But as sometimes happens I was too busy to check it out right away and moved on to other things, the insight forgotten."

In a recent commentary, Monsignor Charles Pope (pastor of Holy Comforter-Saint Cyprian Parish, Washington, DC) reflected on "consider" and the possibilities that open up when one reflects on the meaning of this word.

To access Msgr. Pope's complete post, please visit:

Msgr. Charles Pope: On the Mysticism of the Simple Word "Consider" (19 APR 15)

No comments:

Post a Comment