15 June 2015

Mark Shea on Credulity

"St. Thomas Aquinas was once tricked by his fellow students who cried out, 'Look! A flying ox!' Thomas dutifully went to the window to look and his peers all laughed at him heartily. Thomas' reply (and one of the many reasons he's a saint): 'I thought it more likely that an ox would fly than a Dominican would lie.'

"I think of that story as I read a piece on the Blessed Virgin  Mary allegedly appearing in Egypt that made the rounds some time back. Dunno if it's a real apparition or not, but the headline got me thinking.

"You see, I'm always rather leery of such stuff. But, I'm also not altogether convinced that this speaks very well of me."

In a recent commentary, writer Mark Shea reflected on the effects of belief in happenings, especially happenings related to God and His workings in the world, that other people do not find credible.

To access Mark's complete post, please visit:

National Catholic Register: Mark Shea: In Praise of Credulity (15 JUN 15)

No comments:

Post a Comment