31 May 2018

On Becoming Couter-cultural Catholics in the United States.

"My teen years were in the late 80s & early 90s. I used to wear Vans and had long bangs (both have made a comeback). I lived those years in a constant search of being relevant and cool with my peers. In some ways I achieved my goal. I had friends and we all pretty much liked the same things - movies on VHS tapes, video arcades, Star Wars, Trapper Keepers, & MTV (when they had music). We thought we were cool.

"But, the story doesn't end there. We all change eventually, sometimes for the better. I grew up and left behind my childhood notions of what was relevant and cool. I now understand that cool is a cultural phenomenon that really doesn’t define who I am, what I care about, or how I live my life. Too bad it took me so long to figure that out.

"The modern Catholic Church in the United States is somewhat like a teenager who wants to be cool and accepted to those around her. For so long, we have been caught up in what it means to be relevant in our modern world, that we have forgotten our very purpose. We started to behave and believe like those around us, rather than having them do the same with us. Sure, it was really easy to be a cultural Catholic. You go to church, you learn a few things, live an average comfortable life, don't make waves. You may even send your kids to Catholic school. The goal is to be 'involved' some, but not a saint. No. Never a saint.

"Still, the fact is, the Catholic Church isn’t relevant or cool and that is a good thing - both for the Church in the USA and for the culture that surrounds us. Why? Because we aren’t meant to be relevant or cool. We are meant to be counter-cultural. . . ."

A recent Catholic Missionary Disciples post offered a few suggestions designed to help Catholics become face real issues in a counter-cultural way, living out the commands of Jesus.

To access the complete Catholic Missionary Disciples post, please visit:

Catholic Missionary Disciples: Catholicism Is No Longer Relevant & That is a Good Thing!


No comments:

Post a Comment