24 June 2018

Msgr. Pope on Why Our Spiritual Life Needs Fixing

"When I was a good bit younger, in college actually, I had to take a few economics and marketing courses. At that time I thought to myself, 'God has a bad marketing department,' since things like Scripture and prayer were often so difficult to understand and do. God seemed to insist that we pray, but everyone I ever asked admitted that prayer was difficult. And while many had reasons they offered as to why prayer was difficult, I still wondered why, if God could just zap prayer and make it delightful, He didn't just do so. 'Yes,' I thought, 'God has a bad marketing plan!' 

"But of course God isn't selling products; He's raising children. He's healing hearts, and heart surgery involves pain and often lengthy procedures. Many purifications, mortifications, and changes are going to be necessary if we want to attain holiness and Heaven."

In a recent commentary, Monsignor Charles Pope (pastor of Holy Comforter-Saint Cyprian Parish, Washington, DC) reflected on the many purifications necessary for us (whether we admit it or not), including our spiritual pride, sensuality, and sloth.

To access Msgr. Pope's complete post, please visit:

Community in Mission: Fix Me, Jesus; Fix Me - Three Reasons Why Even Our Spiritual Life Needs Fixing (18 JUN 18)

No comments:

Post a Comment