10 November 2018

Dick Flavin on Baseball Caps

"I got to thinking about baseball caps the other night. That'll give you an idea of what an exciting life I lead -- I spend my evenings thinking about baseball caps.

"I was watching a playoff game between the Milwaukee Brewers and the Los Angeles Dodgers (the Red Sox and the Astros were off) and the Brewers were wearing caps with an old team logo from 40 years ago on them -- the one that shows a baseball in a glove. I'll never forget the eureka moment that I had years ago when I suddenly realized that the logo was not just a baseball in a glove, but that the fingers on the glove formed the letter 'M' and the the thumb and the leather around the ball was a lowercase "b". It wasn't just a baseball in a glove after all; it was a Milwaukee Brewers' baseball in a glove. Ever since then I've thought it was the coolest logo in all sports. I'll never understand why the Brewers changed it."

In a recent commentary, writer Dick Flavin reflected on the baseball caps and their role.

To access Mr. Flavin's complete essay, please visit:

Boston Pilot: Echoes: Dick Flavin: Hats off to baseball caps (2 NOV 18)

No comments:

Post a Comment