29 December 2018

Rick Becker on the Christmas Truce of World War I

"'Snoopy’s Christmas' must be in the running for cheesiest holiday ditty of all time, but if you listen carefully, it holds an unlikely prompt to peace. This year marks the 100th anniversary of the conclusion of World War I, which is maybe why it's sticking out to me when I hear it everywhere in the stores and radio. . . .

"The Royal Guardsmen recorded the song in 1967 and based the story in the lyrics on characters in Charles Schulz's Peanuts comic. . . . . It's Christmas Eve, and Snoopy's World War I nemesis, the Red Baron (a Peanuts version of the real WWI ace, Manfred von Richthofen), was on the move. Reluctantly, the intrepid beagle takes to his doghouse to meet him in imaginary aerial combat.

"As the bouncy tale unfolds, conflict gives way to comity, as reflected in the chorus. 'Christmas bells, those Christmas bells, ring out from the land' (cue the horns and glockenspiel). 'Asking peace of all the world, and good will to man.' The Red Baron, unexpectedly, foregoes a strategic advantage and allows Snoopy to escape. And when Snoopy has to land on enemy territory, he is both welcomed and toasted by his erstwhile foe.

"My son knows all the words and he sang along full-throated in the car one day. I did too, at least on the chorus, and then a light went on. 'This is about the Christmas truce!' I thought to myself. Sure enough, when I later tracked down the history of the song, I found out that others had made that connection as well."

In a recent commentary, writer Rick Becker reflected on the meaning of the Christmas Truce that took place during World War I (December 1914).

To access Mr. Becker's complete post, please visit:

Grotto Network: The Inspiring Story of WWI's Christmas Truce and Its Call for Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment