24 June 2019

Edith Avila Olea on a Special Role of Immigrant Families

"This is the time of the year when students are graduating from high school, college, graduate school and so on. It has me reflecting on my own graduation coming up. My entire family will be traveling 12 hours to come see me walk on stage.

"Graduation isn't just my own triumph, it is our triumph!

"I started my master's program because of the encouragement that my family gave me. My family is in the midst of a long and difficult battle with the immigration system. Because of the stress and uncertain future, I found myself doubting my ability to pursue the degree.

"My anxiety felt overpowering. This fear is one that many families know. What will happen if my family is broken up? Would we have to move? Who would take charge of the rest of us? The questions go on and on."

In a recent commentary, Edith Avila Olea, associate director of justice and peace for the Diocese of Joliet, reflected on the role immigrant faithful are playing in "bringing back peace in a divided world."

To access Dr. Halper's complete essay, please visit:

The Pilot: Echoes: Edith Avila Olea: An ode to immigrant families (14 JUN 19)

No comments:

Post a Comment