24 June 2019

Bishop Tobin on Praying for Others

"'Keep me in your prayers.' Those are words my mom used all the time, especially as she got older, at the end of one of our visits, or in the cards and notes she sent to me. In fact, they are the final words I heard my mom speak when I visited her in the hospital the night before she died. 'Keep me in your prayers,' she said, as I kissed her forehead and prepared to leave.

"I'm not sure why those words became such a regular part of my mom's conversation. . . .

"Asking for someone's prayers, or praying for someone else, is a beautiful and Catholic thing to do. But it's an instinct that transcends our Catholic Faith."

In a recent commentary, Bishop Thomas J. Tobin, of the Diocese of Providence (RI), reflected on how praying with or for someone else accomplishes several things, including reminding "us of the presence and power of God in our lives," connecting us to another person in need (thus "affirming the solidarity of the human family"), and sharpening "our sensitivity to the suffering and needs of others."

To access Bishop Tobin's complete essay, please visit:

The Imitation of Christ: "Keep Me In Your Prayers" (20 JUN 19)

No comments:

Post a Comment