13 June 2019

Annie Logue on Why One Should Talk to Strangers

"Frequent fliers live by many rules. One of the biggies: Never talk to seatmates. Put on your headphones, get immersed in reading, or close your eyes. Given that I am prone to motion sickness, I prefer to spend as much of a flight asleep as possible, so it works out. Also, mentioning motion sickness deters chatty neighbors. . . .

"I don't even remember where I was flying from or flying to, but one evening I got on a plane and took my seat. I was angry about something that had happened with my boss. And the woman next to me decided to start a conversation. 'You seem upset,' she said.

"Instead of grabbing the airsickness bag to ward her off, I decided to answer. 'Yeah,' I said. 'My boss is a jerk.'

"She didn't ask me why I was upset. Instead she asked me what it felt like to be upset. I had never thought about emotions that way and was intrigued. . . .

"That conversation got me through the flight. My seatmate calmed me down and made me realize that I was not stuck thinking about office drama all the time. . . ."

In a recent commentary, writer Annie Logue reflected on some good reasons for talking with fellow travelers.

To access Ms. Logue's complete post, please visit:

U. S. Catholic: Why you should talk to strangers (January 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment