20 January 2020

Bishop Tobin on Not Forgetting

"A couple times a year I visit the ACI, our state prison. I always welcome the opportunity to do so, although the visits are as emotionally challenging as they are spiritually rewarding.

"During one of my recent visits to the ACI, while I was greeting inmates after Mass, as a 'thank-you' the prisoners presented me with a book, the classic 'Life of Christ' by Fulton J. Sheen. . . . But more important was that the men signed the book and sometimes included a brief inscription. I was genuinely moved.

"One of the inscriptions said, simply, 'Thank you for not forgetting us.'

"'Thank you for not forgetting us.' That saying has been on my heart and mind ever since I saw it. And in fact, it also highlights one of the keys of the Christian spiritual life."

In a recent commentary, Bishop Thomas J. Tobin, of the Diocese of Providence (RI), reflected on the importance of not forgetting those who are in difficult situations.

To access Bishop Tobin's complete essay, please visit:

The Imitation of Christ: Thank You For Not Forgetting Us (16 JAN 20) 

No comments:

Post a Comment