12 January 2020

Msgr. Pope on Knowing Jesus and Jesus Knowing Us

"Every now and then,  someone will come to me to request parish services of some sort. Maybe it's to plan a wedding, a baptism, or a funeral; maybe it's for money! Sometimes, not recognizing the person, I look at him or her and say, 'Who are you?' 'Well, Father, you don't know me, but my parents go here; this is our family Church.' 'I see, but where do you go to Church?' I usually ask. The response is usually something like this: 'Well, you know how it is Father, I don't get to Church too often . . . but my parents go here.'

"Well, I've got news for you: your parents' faith isn't going to save you. You gotta have your own faith. You have to know Jesus for yourself. There are some things you just can't borrow. . . ."

In a recent commentary, Monsignor Charles Pope (pastor of Holy Comforter-Saint Cyprian Parish, Washington, DC) reflected on what it means to know Jesus and for Jesus to know us.

To access Msgr. Pope's complete post, please visit:

Community in Mission: What Does Jesus Mean When He Says to Some, "I Do Not Know You"? (7 JAN 20)

No comments:

Post a Comment