07 July 2021

Br. Luke Mary Neitzke, O.P., on Cicadas and Our Spiritual Lives

"Earlier this summer, I was walking in our backyard and I saw one of the brothers picking up cicadas from the sidewalk and putting them back on the trees they had fallen off, and it struck me that the cicadas were a good image for the spiritual life. If King David can write in the Psalms 'I am a worm and no man' (Ps 22:6), I have no problem comparing myself to these funny bugs coming up out of the ground.

"The cicadas spend the beginning of their life buried in the earth. Then as if they heard the words 'seek what is above' (Col 3:1), they emerge from their secure earthen home. They abandon those earthy concerns, their earthly home. This is only the first step though."

In a recent commentary, Brother Luke Mary Neitzke, O.P., reflected on some of the parallels between the life of cicadas and our spiritual lives.

To access Br. Luke Mary's complete post, please visit:

Dominicana: A Lesson from the Cicada (30 JUN 21)

No comments:

Post a Comment