18 November 2021

Fr. Longenecker on the Reality of Purgatory

"I remember when and why I began to believe in the reality of purgatory. It was after taking a funeral and I wondered where the person who had died had gone. It struck me that the doctrine of purgatory (which I had up to then rejected as 'unBiblical') was simply common sense.

"I had come to understand that the faith never contradicts common sense although it often transcends common sense. What made sense about purgatory was the simple realization that most people are not good enough to go straight into God's presence, but neither are most people bad enough to be consigned to the eternal punishment of hell."

In a recent commentary, Father Dwight Longenecker (parish priest at Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic Church, Greenville, SC) reflected on the  reality of Purgatory and the purification process we may need.

To access Fr. Longenecker's complete post, please visit:

Fr. Dwight Longenecker: Purgatory and Mudpies (3 NOV 21)

Background information:

Dwight Longenecker - Catholic priest and author

No comments:

Post a Comment