21 July 2026

Fr. Michael Rennier on Becoming a Person Doing New Things

"In my mind, I'm the sort of person who wakes up in the morning energized to get the most out of my day. I don't immediately pick up my phone and scroll. I don't waste time. I'm looking forward to new experiences and challenges. I don't fall into a rut. At the end of the day, I don't have to look back and chastise myself that I was too passive and, once again, plunged into an entirely comfortable and predictable pattern.

"It isn'' that I unreasonably think we can jump wildly into daring new activities every single day. I don't necessarily need to go bungee jumping or cliff diving or learn a new language in order to have a meaningful existence. In fact, I think there's something troubling about the need to experience constant novelty, as if there's something inside of us we aren't content with so we strike out in all directions as a form of self-soothing. . . ."

In a recent commentary, Father Michael Rennier reflected on how, as we try new things, we may gain broader knowledge and new skills and maybe even m"anage to slow down time."

To access Fr. Rennier's complete post, please visit:

Aleteia: Fr. Michael Rennier: Becoming a person who does new things (20 JUL 26)


No comments:

Post a Comment