06 January 2020

Br. Nicholas Hartman, O.P., on God Renewing the World as Depicted in Christmas Carol

"The first time I listened to In the Bleak Midwinter, I rolled my eyes when I heard in the first verse: 'Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow.' The wintery, Christmas nostalgia that played out in the repetition of 'snow' was soporific and sappy to me. There and then I took an unjust disliking to the carol and resented hearing it played or having to sing it. Eventually, I was willing to revisit my dislike, and what I found modified my opinion of the carol. 

"Originally a poem by Christina Rossetti, In the Bleak Midwinter depicts how God, by his Incarnation, brings the created world that had been wallowing in sin back to himself. . . ."

In a recent commentary, Brother Nicholas Hartman, O.P., reflected on how God, by becoming man, "renews that world and infuses it with his warmth and light."

To access Br. Nicholas' complete post, please visit: 

Dominicana: Snow on Snow (6 JAN 20)

No comments:

Post a Comment