22 February 2023

Maria Garabis Davis on Love and Lent

"When it comes to Lent, I’m pretty sure I've done it all: no sugar, more daily Masses, no alcohol, no bread, no cream in my coffee, daily Rosary, cold showers, and hair shirt. OK, so maybe not hair shirt but, at one time I thought about it.

"Yes, I admit, I'm a classic over-committer to the idea of Lenten penance. Which is probably why, for years, my Holy Week would always arrive with the same bitter realization: I was a Lenten failure. Over the 40 days, one by one, I would rationalize my Lenten promises away until I was inevitably left with none. And on Easter morning, I made a solemn vow that next year, I’d commit to Lent, be tried and true, and really celebrate Easter morning.

"After years of breaking up with Lent mid-season, I finally cracked the code. Lent is about love. . . ."

In a recent commentary, writer Maria Garabis Davis reflected on some ways one can experience Lent by putting love into it...

To access Ms. Davis' complete post, please visit:

Aleteia: Maria Garabis Davis: How my Lent of love has created my love of Lent (25 FEB 23)

No comments:

Post a Comment