05 May 2010

Reflection Starter

Today's quote from Saint Francis de Sales (see links) goes as follows: "There is no better way of growing toward perfection in the spiritual life than to be always starting over again and never thinking that we have done enough."

Obviously there is more to growing in perfection in the spiritual life than this, but, if there is one thing I can do, it is realizing I am messing up and then starting over. Sometimes it takes a little while to penetrate this thick head, but when it does I do begin again (at whatever it is that needs to be dealt with).

As a side note, that is one of the reasons I love Mondays - it is a brand new week, with a brand new slate.

Related to this - as a morning person, I love the beginning of a brand new day.

Even though I am a morning person, it took me a long time to appreciate the song, "Morning Has Broken," which fits right in with this theme.

From today's Office of Readings (Psalm 18:2-3), comes a strong supporting reason why I love new beginnings:

   "The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer,
      my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield,
      and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

   "I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised,
      and I am saved from my enemies."

P.S.  To view Cat Stevens singing "Morning Has Broken" from a 1966 concert, visit;

     Cat Stevens: "Morning Has Broken" (1976)

No comments:

Post a Comment