15 August 2010

Deacon Greg Kandra on the Assumption

Deacon Greg Kandra (from the Diocese of Brooklyn, New York) offers a reflection on the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary:

"Years ago, a friend gave me a holy card with an unusual depiction of the Blessed Mother. She is visibly pregnant, and reading from a book - praying from scripture. As my friend explained to me: it's a great image for a writer. It shows Mary reading the word, while carrying The Word. The Word is within, and without.

"When I was in formation, studying to become a deacon, I taped that image inside my binder, and it was always with me when I went to class. Later, when I gave my first homily at St. Josephat's in Bayside, I was surprised to see a similar image in a stained glass window near the altar. It depicts the Annunciation, with Mary once again reading an open book at the moment of conception. It shows Mary's great devotion to the word, in every manifestation."

To continue reading Deacon Greg's reflection as he ties this image with the Assumption, please visit:

Deacon Greg Kandra: Homily for August 15, 2010: Vigil of the Assumption

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this entry.
    I also found an interesting article about the Dormition/Assumption providing a broad perspective on the feast’s history and the various ways it is observed. Worth checking it out: http://dstp.cba.pl/?p=2399.

    ReplyDelete