08 August 2010

A Reflection on Today's Gospel and Preparedness.

The three readings that Mother Church, in her wisdom, provides for us each Sunday (and holy day) contain a vast richness. There are a myriad of possible starting points for reflection/meditation. Sometimes a theme seems to jump out; other times it is drawn out after prayer reflection.

In today's homily at Saint Maria Goretti parish in Pawtucket, RI, Father Bob Bailey focused on the being prepared aspect of today's Gospel reading.

Drawing upon his experience as a boy scout and in his ministries, he guided us toward an awareness of being prepared for that moment when the Lord will come to each of us an individual and tell us it is our time to leave this earthly realm.

This brings to mind the rich man with the bountiful harvest in last Sunday's Gospel reading. This man had such a great harvest that he wanted to build larger barns to store all that grain - but that night his life was demanded of him.

Many of us know about being prepared. During the years when I was actively involved in fire photography, my equipment was ready to go on a moment's notice - the camera was ready and the camera vest had my extra lenses and supply of film (as well as various other items I would potentially need) in its various pockets. I even had a backup belt and pack with even more film and extra items in case of an extended incident, as well as a duffel bag I kept in the car with other supplies (extra socks, extra jumpsuit, canteen, sweatshirt, rain gear, and other items).

This habit has carried over, and, when I go out with my backpack to work or whatever, the pack has a number of extra items ready for use - just in case. (And some of them do periodically get called into service.)

Coming back to the Gospel reading, our Lord has made it quite clear that we can be called from this life at any time. Do I focus on Him and keep my souls in a state of readiness? Do I exercise the same care in my spiritual preparedness that I exercised in my photography preparedness? Do I spend time with the Lord each day? Do I remember His constant presence? Is my faith a living faith, one that permeates my life, that guides my life?

It is a constant effort, and it's very dependent on God's grace. I do have to periodically remind myself of advice given by Saint Francis de Sales: “Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them - every day begin the task anew.”

No comments:

Post a Comment