28 August 2010

"Our Tongues Need to Be Bleached" - a Commentary on the Increased Use of Profanity in Today's Society

Brain Sullivan, an editor of the Berkshire Eagle (Berkshire, MA), recently wrote a commentary about the increased everyday use of profanity:

"My definition of profanity is any word you wouldn't say in front of your mother. I'm really not overreacting here, nor am I on any kind of crusade. But the fact is that the use of profanity in this country has reached epidemic proportions, and if we can't learn to curb our tongues, then we might as well take the lid off whatever transparent and loose rules we have and let that cowflop fly in every direction. . . .

"I tried a little experiment back in the spring. I kept track of how many profane words I heard in the course of the day. I think I was up to between 30 and 40 by mid-evening when I stopped counting. For the record, I didn't spend the day with drunken sailors, and no offense meant to our sailor friends.

"Profane words aren't even being used much to provide emphasis or to make firmer a point of contention. They are used as simple adjectives and nouns that in the scheme of the sentence structure would appear to be completely unnecessary."

To continue reading the rest of his thoughtful essay, please visit:

Berkshire Eagle: Our tongues need to be bleached (26 AUG 10)

No comments:

Post a Comment