26 January 2013

Msgr. Pope on the Similarities Between Square Dancing and the Church

“Years ago, in High School, I dated Paula, who liked square dancing. So, most Saturday nights we were down at the community center, she in her petticoats and dress, I in my jeans, button down western shirt with a scarf tie and hand towel.

“Square dancing has some basic moves that beginners learn. And so it was that Paula and I started with the basics. But in square dancing there are different levels, and so eventually we cleared the floor and watched those who knew the more advanced moves. Sometimes there were several levels of dancers. I remember being amazed at the complicated moves the move senior members had learned and wondered how I would ever master it. But, little by little the moves were learned, and we got to stay on the floor just a little longer as the months and years ticked by.

“Image of the Church? I was over at YouTube and came upon the video below of a square dance group that’s pretty advanced. I remember many of the moves they do, but some of it was above what I ever learned. And suddenly it occurred to me that I saw an image of the Church.”

In a recent commentary, Monsignor Charles Pope (pastor of Holy Comforter-Saint Cyprian Parish, Washington, DC) reflected on the similarities between the Church and square dancing (including the need for a caller [e.g., the Pope or the local bishop], each participant having a role [but not the same role], and the intricacy [with many aspects interacting at the same time]).

To access Msgr. Pope’s complete post, please visit:

Msgr. Charles Pope: What Can Square Dancing Teach Us About the Church? (22 JAN 13)

No comments:

Post a Comment