31 January 2013

“on Church Problems”

“It’s so very kind of you to come around with a bag of oranges my dear! Good heavens, what will you think with me still in my housecoat and slippers at this time of the morning? I suppose Jeanette told you I was under the weather, and there’s nothing like fresh oranges to make a nice hot toddy. I always add a spoonful of honey. It makes the whiskey taste better.

“Will you come it? I don’t think it’s the flu. You needn’t worry about that–just a bit of a sniffle really. Yes, that would be nice. You put the kettle on while I get these cookies out. I think I’ll make myself a hot toddy right now! You won’t? That’s fine. Make some tea dear, and do you know I heard some of the men at the church supper the other evening grumbling about how things are run. My goodness, they didn’t stop. I felt so sorry for poor Father Gibbons who, Lord knows, does his best. When they were finished with him they went on to the bishop and the dean. My how they grumbled! It made my head spin!”

In a recent commentary, Father Dwight Longenecker (parish priest at Our Lady of the Rosary Parish, Greenville, SC), in the persona of Mrs Brady, Catholic Old Lady, reflected on the importance of changing ourselves as we look at the problems facing the Church and the world.

To access Fr. Longenecker’s complete post, please visit:

Standing on My Head: Mrs Brady on Church Problems (29 JAN 13)

Background information:

Dwight Longenecker - Catholic priest and author

No comments:

Post a Comment