01 March 2013

Msgr. Pope on the “Our Father” and the Common Good

“It is a very brief word that begins the Lord’s prayer, ‘Our’, as in ‘Our Father.’ Note that it is in the first person plural. Such a little insight, yet such a powerful one.

“We live in times that emphasize the first person singular: I, me, mine my rights, my opinion, my choice, my lifestyle, my personal statement, my personal relationship with God, the God of my understanding, etc.

“We could probably do with a little more the first person plural. Our Lord, our Father, our family, our children, our Catholic faith, our heritage, our common lot.”

In a recent commentary, Monsignor Charles Pope (pastor of Holy Comforter-Saint Cyprian Parish, Washington, DC) reflected on the balancing of the dignity and the rights of the individual with the common good.

To access Msgr. Pope’s complete post, please visit:

Msgr. Charles Pope: First Person Plural (21 FEB 13)

No comments:

Post a Comment