09 March 2014

Deacon Greg Kandra on Selfless Giving During Lent

“I was doing perfectly fine, sitting at the diner, scanning the menu and steadfastly determined to have a tuna melt for lunch … until someone at the table next to me made a fateful decision.

“They ordered a cheeseburger. It was all downhill from there. It arrived at the table, oozing melted cheese, heaped with French fries, the air fragrant with the faint aroma of just-broiled bacon. My salivary glands kicked into overdrive and before I could stop them, my lips were forming the words: ‘I’ll have the burger deluxe.’

“Several minutes later, swabbing the ketchup from the plate with the last French fry, I heaved a deep sigh. I found myself once again back at square one, trying to maintain my Lenten fast.”

In a recent commentary, Deacon Greg Kandra reflected on selfless giving during Lent,

To access Deacon Greg’s complete essay, please visit:

Legatus Magazine: The trouble with fasting (1 MAR 14)

No comments:

Post a Comment