29 March 2014

Russell Shaw on Lent and Detachment

“I was a little shy of 10 years old when I had what may have been my most spiritually profitable Lent ever. Looking back now, I can see clearly that I owed that to my mother. And The Purple Monster.

“A short time before, my parents had taken the significant step of letting me to go to the movies by myself. That meant that every Friday after supper I trooped off to the local movie palace with a gang of neighborhood kids and plunked down my quarter to see a cowboy movie and the latest installment of the current serial.”

In a recent commentary, writer Russell Shaw reflected on Lent and its relationship to the virtue of detachment.

To access Mr. Shaw’s complete post, please visit:

OSV Newsweekly: Lent and The Purple Monster (4 MAR 14)

No comments:

Post a Comment