03 December 2015

Bishop Tobin on Preparing for Our Last Day

"I'm not sure what prompted me to do it, but a few weeks back I sat at my computer and filled out a life expectancy calculator. Actually, I filled out several of them.

"Perhaps you know what I'm talking about. A life expectancy calculator is an online tool that predicts how long you will live, barring some unforeseen incident such as an accident, natural disaster or terrorist attack. The calculator responds to information you provide, for example: vital statistics - present age, gender, height and weight; your health condition - family history of illness, any current illnesses, and medications you're taking; and lifestyle choices - diet, smoking, drinking, use of seatbelts and sunscreen. After the information is inserted you click a button and, voila - your predicted life expectancy appears!

"It can be a sobering experience. The first test I tried said that I would live to be 67 - my current age! So what does a man do when he discovers that his days are numbered, severely numbered? Well, I said an Act of Contrition, kissed my dog good-bye and had a drink. (Actually, I think, I hope, that I made a mistake somewhere in filling out the form.) . . .

"Online gimmicks notwithstanding, though, who can really predict the day of our passing? I could live for thirty years or pass on next year. I could even go before this article gets published. Wouldn't that be a dramatic conclusion to my writing career?

"One of my favorite Scripture passages is this: 'Lord, teach us to number our days aright that we may gain wisdom of heart.' (Ps 90:12)

"There is great wisdom in remembering our mortality, that in fact we won't be here forever. . . . But as you consider your mortality, there are more important spiritual things to consider too, and here, a good examination of conscience comes in handy. You could start by remembering the Great Commandment: 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your being, with all your strength, and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.' (Lk 10:27)"

In a recent commentary, Bishop Thomas J. Tobin, of the Diocese of Providence (RI), reflected on the importance of preparing for the time when we will depart our mortal lives. included in his reflection are a number items to consider during our examination of our lives.

To access Bishop Tobin's complete essay, please visit:

Without A Doubt: How Long Do You Expect to Live? (26 NOV 15)

No comments:

Post a Comment