08 March 2017

Tod Worner and G. K. Chesterton on the Sacrament of Confession

"'Why should I have to go to Confession?'

"I was being testy. And my wife knew it.

"Now, this wasn't my first misgiving about the Catholic Church. Nor would it be my last. Having married a 'cradle Catholic' while personally been raised Lutheran, I had asked terse questions about church hierarchy, the veneration of Mary and the Saints, and the exclusivity surrounding the partaking of the Eucharist. For fourteen years, as we alternated Sundays between Lutheran services and Catholic Mass, my wife mounted a steady, winsome defense of the Catholic faith against my sometimes-earnest-oftentimes-chippy questions.

"And now I had come around to the Sacrament of Penance and Reconciliation (hereafter referred to simply as Confession).

"What is this Sacrament all about and why should I have to go?

"My wife offered thoughtful answers - better than I ever appreciated. But beyond her considered insights, I was helped most by the brilliant pen of a Catholic convert, G.K. Chesterton, and the thoughtful comment by a dear friend."

In a recent commentary, writer Tod Worner, with the "assistance" of G. K. Chesterton reflected on the importance and relevance of the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

To access Mr. Worner's complete post, please visit:

National Catholic Register: Blogs: What G.K. Chesterton and a Dear Friend Taught Me About Confession (24 FEB 17)

No comments:

Post a Comment