09 March 2017

Reflection from Alexis de Tocqueville

"In the 1830s Alexis de Tocqueville toured America. When his tour was completed, the French writer made this observation (paraphrased):

"'I sought for the greatness of the United States in her spacious harbors, in the mighty rivers, the streams and the lakes, in the grandeur of her mountains, the verdant fields - and it was not there.

"'I sought for the greatness in her vast industrial might, in the wealth of her mines, the public school system, and in the institutions of higher learning - and it was not there.

"'I looked for the greatness in her democratic Congress and her unsurpassed Constitution - and it was not there.

"'Not until I went into the churches of America and heard her pulpits flame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her genius and power. America is great because America is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great!'" - Source Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment