30 July 2018

Shireen Korkzan on Why the World Cup Matters

"Like everyone else in my family, I grew up playing soccer; I went to my siblings' soccer games and was a goalkeeper in the YMCA youth team that my father coached. Some of my most enjoyable childhood memories include playing soccer with my family for hours at a time; all we needed were some random objects to form goal posts and a ball, and we were set for the day. The best part of recess in elementary school was playing the same soccer game every day of the school year without keeping score.

"And that's exactly why soccer is the world's sport. It can be played anywhere, and all that's needed is a ball and something to mark the goal posts. The activity is simple and affordable, yet tons of fun. It is also a great way for families and friends to bond.

"Most important, playing soccer is not just about learning something new or winning, but building new memories that will last a lifetime and being the best that a person can be on and off the field. I thought of our family games while watching Wim Wenders' new documentary, Pope Francis: A Man of His Word. There's a scene where the pope implores straight to the camera: 'Parents, play with your children.' It reminded me that sports isn't just about the game; it’s a place to learn life lessons like teamwork, leadership, etc."

In a recent commentary, writer Shireen Korkzan reflected on soccer, sports in general, and the recent Vatican document "Giving the best of yourself: A document on the Christian perspective on sport and the human perspective".

To access Ms. Korkzan's complete reflection, please visit:

US Catholic: Why the World Cup still matters (July 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment