18 July 2018

Brianna Heldt on Sports and One's Faith Life

"If you had told me even five years ago that I'd be blogging about a new Vatican document related to sports and the Christian person, I'd have laughed in your face.

"Because truth be told I am not, nor have I ever been, any sort of an athlete.

"Aside from my season-long T-ball stint in kindergarten, and a brief foray into freshman tennis in high school (which resulted in little else besides splitting headaches triggered by practicing in the 90-degree California heat), I have played zero sports in my life. Zero. I was a horrible runner, couldn't do a pullup if my life depended on it (hello Presidential Fitness Test alternative of 'flexed arm hang'), and was generally chosen last when it came to picking teams."

In a recent commentary, writer Brianna Heldt reflected on a recent Vatican document that addressed the issue of sports and one's faith life; a document that including a comment by Pope Francis: "The Church is interested in sport because the person is at her heart, the whole person, and she recognizes that sports activity affects the formation, relations and spirituality of a person."

To access Ms. Heldt's complete post, please visit:

National Catholic Register: Blogs: Brianna Heldt: What the Vatican Just Said About Sports (17 JUL 18)

No comments:

Post a Comment