01 December 2018

On One Way Out of a Spiritual Rut

"'It's strange and wonderful to see what the Lord reveals to us when we quiet our chatter and let him in, let him be who he is.'
"Rarely is the spiritual life a continuous road of upward progression. And though we will never 'make it' on this side of eternity, it can be quite frustrating to find ourselves in the same old rut, facing the same fears, doubts, questions we had thought previously conquered.
"I recently found myself once again in such a rut. Facing the same doubts, questions, bitterness, and distrust that had plagued me before, I stood before the Lord brokenhearted and weary. Perhaps the one difference I noticed, however, was that I knew the change had to come from me: it wasn't God who was absent from me, but I who had grown absent from God. I had a suspicion that my weariness and frustration were coming from a place of self-centeredness, that for too long, once again, I was placing before the Lord far too many requests and questions and little else.
"Determined to leave that place, I made God a promise: Lord, for thirty days I will ask nothing of you, not the simplest thing. For thirty days I will only surrender my cares into your hands, praise you and thank you. My prayer was to find my way back to the heart of Jesus."
A recent Helena Daily post reflected on this effort to get out of a spiritual rut.
To access the complete Helena Daily post, please visit:
Helena Daily: Off the Cuff: In a Spiritual Rut? Here's a Remarkable Way Out (15 NOV 18)

No comments:

Post a Comment