22 January 2019

Bishop Tobin on Stirring Our Faith into Flame

"I have a working fireplace at home, a comforting convenience in the cold, dark days of winter. It's not used often, but mostly during the holidays or when I have visitors.

"A few weeks back, when a fire had been burning for a while and was just about dead, I took a fireplace tool, poked the log until it fell apart, and then stepped back and watched the fire burst into a robust mini-inferno. Impressive, I thought, how much energy was left in that nearly-spent log.

"And I also thought about the words of St. Paul to Timothy: 'I remind you to stir into flame the gift of God that you have through the imposition of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of cowardice, but rather of power and love and self-control.' (II Tim 1: 6-7) And then it occurred to me - there still must be a lot of energy in the Church too, if only we could bring the flame to life again."

In a recent commentary, Bishop Thomas J. Tobin, of the Diocese of Providence (RI), reflected on the importance of stirring our faith into flame
To access Bishop Tobin's complete essay, please visit:

The Imitation of Christ: Stir Into Flame (17 JAN 19)

No comments:

Post a Comment