25 May 2019

Brett and Kate McKay on Reasons One Should Keep a Paper Map in the Glove Box

"Ever since Google Maps launched its app in 2008, I've been using GPS to get around town, and across the country. For a decade, a digital voice from my phone has led me, turn-by-turn, in cities I’m not familiar with and even cities I've lived in for years.

"But during the past year or so, I've become uncomfortable with my reliance on GPS for a variety of reasons.

"So I bought a paper map of my fair city of Tulsa, as well as a road atlas of the United States. (Apparently, I'm not alone in this; sales of the classic Rand McNally Road Atlas have, counterintuitively, been rising in the last several years). And I've been pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable it's been to use old-fashioned maps to get around town, and country. In fact, I've gone to using 'analog' maps as my primary method of navigation, only relying on Google Maps as a back-up."

In  recent commentary, writers Brett and Kate McKay reflected on a number of reasons why one might consider putting a paper map in their automobile's glove box (including paper maps never lose power or wireless signal, paper maps are safer and less distracting than GPS, paper maps provide a more detailed, expansive, big-picture lay of the land, and paper maps can get you to your destination faster than GPS).

To access their complete post, please visit:

The Art of Manliness: 7 Reasons You Should Still Keep a Paper Map in Your Glovebox (21 MAY 19)

Editor's note: I concur. I still prefer paper maps, I Keep at least on in my backpack/travel bag, and I often use one to plot my trip ahead of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment