29 May 2019

Mary Jo Gerd on Things She Wished She Learned about The Church When She Was a Child

"'Pssst… Hey kid, c' mere. Wanna hear a secret?'

"This greeting should send chills down the spine of any parent, right? Under normal circumstances I'd agree, but what if it involved . . . say, a little time travel? And instead of a complete stranger, it was middle-aged me approaching a gawky, 12-year-old, pimply-faced version of myself?

"You're thinking I've been sampling the legalized weed that is regrettably ubiquitous in my home state of Colorado.

"In truth, I occasionally like to reimagine what my life might look like if I could have a heart-to-heart with that 12-year-old kid I used to be. What if I could share with her all that I've learned about the beauty and genius of the Catholic Church? What if I could shake her and tell her to take a plunge into the depth of her faith?"

In a recent commentary, writer Mary Jo Gerd reflected on  things about the Catholic faith she wishes she had learned as a child (including the importance of meeting the Church Fathers, of reading the Baltimore Catechism, and of frequently baring one's soul in the confessional).

To access Ms. Gerd's complete post, please visit:

No comments:

Post a Comment