29 July 2019

Fr. Robert McTeigue, SJ, on Going to Confession

"Parishioner: Father, I suppose I would go to confession if only I could think of any sins I’ve committed that are worth mentioning.

"Priest: How about asking your spouse for suggestions?I

"That's not an entirely flippant quip. It is analogous to the story that retreat directors like to tell.

"Retreatant: How will I know if I made a good retreat?

"Retreat director: Wait six months and ask the people you live with.

"I speak of this because I know that we humans can be blind when we look in the mirror. It is very easy for us to cling to illusions, to take for granted the innocence of our rationalizations, to be ready to accept without question the 'reasons' why the moral law does not apply to us."

In a recent commentary, Father Robert McTeigue, S.J., reflected on why it is important to make a good confession.

To access Fr. McTeigue's complete post, please visit:

Aleteia: Fr. Robert McTeigue, SJ: No more excuses! Go to confession (24 JUL 19)

No comments:

Post a Comment