17 September 2023

Msgr. Pope on Patience and Trusting the Slow Work of God

"Today’s reading from the Office of Readings strikes deeply within me as I see my beloved Bride, the Church so struck with confusion, doubt, division and ambiguity. Even those who ought to be the source of our unity are divided and ambiguous, and speak in riddles. The reading from today cries out this understandable lament :

How long, O Lord? I cry for help
but you do not listen!
I cry out to you, 'Violence!'
but you do not intervene.

Why do you let me see ruin;
why must I look at misery?
Because the wicked circumvent the just;
this is why judgment comes forth perverted.

For a work is being done in your days
that you would not have believed, were it told.

"However…The reading from Habakkuk also reminds us that impatience is a human problem, but we moderns must surely suffer from it more acutely. . . ."

In a recent commentary Charles Pope (pastor of Holy Comforter-Saint Cyprian Parish, Washington, DC) reflected on our impatience over many things vis-à-vis the slow growth of our spiritual life

To access Msgr. Pope's complete post, please visit:

Community in Mission: Patience… a reflection on the need to trust the slow work of God.(12 SEP 23)

No comments:

Post a Comment