29 November 2023

Cecilia Pigg on Balance in Advent

"Imagine the following situation drawn out in a comic strip. In the first panel, you see me hurrying to wash dishes with one hand as I stir the pots on the stove with the other. The next series of panels show me reading recipes, loading the dishwasher, and then typing in my shipping and billing information on Etsy to buy Christmas presents. . . .

"In the comic strip’s next-to-last panel, you see my face close-up, with a light bulb lit up over my head. Then in the final image, you see me gather my kids around me to read a story, after sending a text that says, 'I'd love to visit, see you soon' to my friend.

"What was the lightbulb moment in my life two weeks ago? I realized that I want to have a 'Mary' Advent this year, not a 'Martha' one. I want to spend my holiday season more focused on people than on the decorations, food, presents, etc. Mary sat at Jesus’ feet, listening and engaging with Him. . . ."

In a recent commentary, writer Cecilia Pigg reflected on the ways in which one can focus on what is important during the season of Advent..

To access Ms. Pigg's complete post, please visit:

Aleteia; Cecilia Pigg: Advent helps make Christmas more about people than things (28 NOV 23)

No comments:

Post a Comment