24 May 2013

Msgr. Pope on True Freedom

“One of the terribly destructive philosophies is a false notion of freedom. The sinful world, going all the way back to Satan’s deceit in the garden, thinks of freedom as being able to do whatever I please. In effect those who hold this, flaunt their false notion of freedom saying in effect, ‘I will do what I want to do, and I will decide if it is right or wrong. No one will tell me what to do.’ It is freedom in the abstract, freedom for its own sake, rather than for the sake of being able to do what is right.”

In a recent commentary, Monsignor Charles Pope (pastor of Holy Comforter-Saint Cyprian Parish, Washington, DC) reflected on true freedom as “the capacity to obey God.”

To access Msgr. Pope’s complete post, please visit:

Msgr. Charles Pope: What is the Christian Understanding of Freedom and how is it different from the World’s fake freedom? (16 MAY 13)

No comments:

Post a Comment