23 November 2019

Calah Alexander on Teaching Gratitude to Her Children

"My kids and I have developed a ritual when I pick them up from school. They aren't allowed to say anything negative about their day until they each tell me 3 good things they experienced that day.

"It doesn't have to be a major occurrence - something as simple as seeing a bluebird land on a flower in the garden, or a friend sharing their Oreos. Nor does it have to be something that the rest of us would experience as a 'good.' For example, my 10-year-old Charlotte came home a few days ago elated because the boys had to run laps around the field that day, when for two weeks it had been the girls' turn to run laps. I simply ask them to identify three things that made them feel happy that day."

In a recent commentary, writer Calah Alexander reflected on how, in her own "exhaustion and impatience, [she] stumbled into teaching [her] kids something that will benefit them throughout their lives."

T access Ms. Alexander's complete post, please visit:

Aleteia: Calah Alexander: How I accidentally taught my kids to practice gratitude (7 OCT 19)

No comments:

Post a Comment