19 November 2019

Msgr. Pope on What He Saw While Serving on a Grand Jury

"In early September, I was summoned to serve on a criminal grand jury here in Washington, D.C. through mid-October. It was difficult and emotionally draining work; I frequently wondered why the Lord would permit such a huge addition to my already overwhelming schedule. When I complained to Him, all I got back was that He wanted me to see something. 

"Many expressed their surprise that a priest would be compelled to serve. Frankly, as a clergyman, I fully expected to be dismissed. As I discovered, however, grand juries are quite different from petit juries, from which priests, religious, and other sorts of people who might sway fellow jurors are often dismissed. Very few occupations (e.g., active duty military personnel) are exempted from serving on a grand jury.

"As that morning unfolded, I began to realize I wasn't going to escape this time. By noon it became clear that I was going to have to serve not just for one day or one trial but every weekday for the next five weeks, from nine to five. . . .

"I was not fully prepared for what the Lord wanted me to see. Indeed, I found myself peering into a deep, deep darkness. In the midst of it, though, I also saw light."

In a recent two-part commentary, Monsignor Charles Pope (pastor of Holy Comforter-Saint Cyprian Parish, Washington, DC) reflected on some of the darkness and some of the light he saw as he served on the grand jury.

To access Msgr. Pope's complete posts, please visit:

Community in Mission: What I Saw While Serving on a Grand Jury (Part One) (20 OCT 19)

Community in Mission: What I Saw While Serving on a Grand Jury (part two) (21 OCT 19)

No comments:

Post a Comment