12 April 2021

Bishop Tobin on Using Well Our Spiritual (and Other) Gifts

"A few years back, my nephew, who was still living in New England at the time, was coming to Providence to join me for dinner. Actually he was coming to Providence to cook dinner for me, because I don't cook.

"Before he left home he called to ask, 'Uncle Tom, do you have a potato peeler in your kitchen?' He knew that my kitchen furnishings were pretty limited. 'Gee, Dan, I don't know,' I said. 'What does a potato peeler look like?'

"He brought his own potato peeler with him."

In a recent commentary, Bishop Thomas J. Tobin, of the Diocese of Providence (RI), reflected on how each of us has some things we are good at and some things we are not good at and on how we should be grateful for and use well the gifts (including spiritual gifts) we have (without mourning the gifts we do not have).

To access Bishop Tobin's complete essay, please visit: 

The Imitation of Christ: A Potato Peeler Parable (8 APR 21) 

No comments:

Post a Comment