20 September 2021

Bishop Tobin on What Makes One a Catholic

"So, while I was walking down the aisle of a local supermarket recently, a very nice gentleman passing by asked me, out of the clear blue, 'How are the Steelers going to do this year?' That was it. No, 'Are you Bishop Tobin?' or 'Hi Bishop, how are you doing?' or 'I'm surprised to see you here, Bishop,' just 'How are the Steelers going to do this year?'

"I found it really amusing, and very interesting that the gentleman recognized me, even in casual clothes, and immediately identified me with my favorite sports team. But it got me thinking, on a deeper level, about how people identify us. And how we identify ourselves, particularly when it comes to religion. Do people identify you as a Catholic? Do you consider yourself a Catholic? And, if so, what is it that makes you a Catholic?"

In a recent commentary, Bishop Thomas J. Tobin, of the Diocese of Providence (RI), reflected on what makes one a Catholic
.

To access Bishop Tobin's complete essay, please visit:

The Imitation of Christ: What Makes You A Catholic? (16 SEP 21)

No comments:

Post a Comment