08 January 2022

Fr. Jack Kolodziej, OSFS, on 'Little Christmas'

"When I was growing up, I would watch some of our neighbors put their Christmas trees on the curb every December 26. By New Year's Day, more homes would dispose of their trees and the rest of their holiday decorations were soon taken down. When I would ask my mother when our family was going to follow suit, she always said that we kept our tree and decorations up until 'Little Christmas.' As a kid, I was curious about this phrase. My mother explained that 'Little Christmas' was another name for the twelfth day of Christmas, the traditional date for the feast of the Epiphany."

In a recent commentary, Father Jack Kolodziej, OSFS, reflected on the celebration of "Little Christmas" and on how, as the calendar and liturgy transitions from Christmas to Ordinary Time, Salesian spirituality leads one to see God in the everyday moments and the familiar, routines of life.

To access his complete post, please visit:

De Sales Weekly: Salesian Greeting: A Merry 'Little Christmas' (6 JAN 22)

No comments:

Post a Comment