16 August 2023

Fr. Taylor Colwell on the Difference between Knowledge and Wisdom

"When I was around 10 years old, I went away to a weeklong summer sports camp with a group from church. It was my first time away from home for this long, and I was a little nervous. Thankfully, my assigned roommate was a couple of years older than me, and he took me under his wing. 

"The first evening, I noticed a group of older boys up to no good: carrying on in a rambunctious manner, going where they weren't supposed to, and generally trying to break as many rules as possible. Naïve and bookish young boy that I was, I asked my roommate, 'Those boys are all pretty smart . . . they make good grades, do well in school: Why are they acting so foolishly?' Mature beyond his years, he replied, 'There's a difference between knowledge and wisdom. They're smart alright, but they're not wise.'"

In a recent commentary, Father Taylor Colwell reflected on how wisdom includes the "ability to put the knowledge one has acquired into practice, especially when it comes to the moral and relational life," and the "ability to distinguish between what is and isn't important, to weigh various options and make deliberate choices leading to the formation of a solid character."

To access Fr. Colwell's complete post, please visit:

Aleteia: Fr. Taylor Colwell: Knowledge vs. wisdom, and the wisdom to know the difference (16 AUG 23)

No comments:

Post a Comment