08 February 2019

Little Free Libraries in Greenfield, MA

"On a recent drive through Greenfield, I noticed a small colorfully painted box filled with books perched in a front yard on Madison Circle.

"Once I noticed this first one, I began noticing them elsewhere in town. You know, that phenomenon when you learn a new word and suddenly it's in the book you're reading, the movie you just watched, and the conversation you overheard in the grocery store. Some are set in front yards. Others, in parks. One pays homage to Poet's Seat Tower. Another is a repurposed newspaper vending machine in a local park.

"I've overlooked books recently, opting instead for the convenience of my Kindle or the ease of my laptop. These little book boxes piqued my curiosity and I reached out to my friend and longtime Greenfield resident, Aaron Stone. I couldn't call up a mental image of him with a book in hand, and yet, I discovered there was a little book box in his own front yard."

A recent article in The Recorder (Greenfield, MA) reported on the proliferation of little free libraries in the town.

To access the complete report, please visit:

The Recorder: Greenfield's Little Free Libraries spread literacy, connect neighbors (28 DEC 18)

Related Lop Notes post:

Lop Notes: "Little Free Libraries" (11 March 2012)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment