09 February 2019

Suzan Sammons on the relationship between Fasting and Hunger

"I've spent about two-thirds of the Lents of the last few decades either pregnant or nursing. In other words, holding a get-out-of-fasting-free card. But since my late 40s just rolled around, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to draw that card again. Which is why I had to face the truth last Lent that I'm lousy at fasting.

"My typical fast was a half English muffin in the morning, a small egg salad lunch and then a pasta and cheese dinner with some fruit and bread. In spite of plenty of fluids, there were still the headaches, the tiredness, the constant thoughts of wanting to eat. All of which was followed by the guilt about what a weak person I was - I couldn't even skip a meal - or part of a meal! - without getting cranky and exhausted.

"So how the heck does this draw people closer to God? As a Catholic, I know that fasting is an essential part of life in Christ. But all I was thinking about was food and how terrible I felt."

In a recent essay in Crisis Magazine, writer Suzan Sammons reflected on the relationship between hunger and fasting.

To access Ms. Sammons' complete essay, please visit:

Crisis Magazine: To Fast Well, Understand Hunger (16 JAN 19)

No comments:

Post a Comment