14 February 2019

Rachel Lu on the Beauty and Importance of Baptism

"We baptized our fifth child on a Saturday morning in January. It was bitterly cold outside, but the church was warm. There were the usual elements: salt, chrism and water. Satan and his works were rejected. A new Christian was born.

"As a member of the laity, I have a lot of baptism-related memories. For one thing, I can recall two of my own baptisms, as well as seven sibling baptisms. That's fairly remarkable, given that I have only four siblings; obviously the seven were not all valid. (A valid baptism marks the soul indelibly and cannot be repeated.)

"Our family was Mormon, but three of us eventually converted to Catholicism and one of us to Orthodoxy. I left the faith of my fathers first, and I now have the honor of being the only person in attendance at all the family baptisms."

In a recent commentary, writer Rachel Lu reflected on the great gift of Baptism.

To access Ms. Lu's complete essay, please visit:

National Catholic Register: Commentary: Baptism: An Absolutely Priceless Gift (14 FEB 19)

No comments:

Post a Comment